(310) 683-4516

Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer

Work Authorization for Japanese Students in the U.S.

May 6, 2011 6:19:15 AM / by Staff Attorney

Japanese students on a F-1 visa who are currently enrolled in a school in the United States may seek work authorization based on severe economic hardship. According to the regulations at 8 CFR 214.2(f)(9)(II)(C) and (D), F-1 academic students may request this permission to work off-campus due to the severe economic hardship caused by changes in the financial condition of your family. The requirements are as follows:

  1. Your family in Japan is funding your studies;
  2. Have been an F-1 academic student for at least one full academic year;
  3. Are in good academic standing and carrying a full course load; and
  4. Need employment authorization to avoid severe economic hardship.

Our office can coordinate this with your school officials. We can also work with the immigration service so that they waive the customary $380 fee. Because of the enormity of the tragedy in Japan, our office will waive half of the $1000 fee for any new clients before July 15, 2011. Therefore, your work return authorization will only cost $500 including the government fees. Payment plans are available.

Topics: Visas, Work Visas

Staff Attorney

Written by Staff Attorney


Are you an immigrant investor, professional, student, entrepreneur, or other worker seeking opportunities in the USA?


We cut through the red tape to make your family member a legal permanent resident efficiently and affordably.


We aggressively fight removal/deportation cases, win appeals and overturn criminal convictions.

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

ILOLA’s Education Center


Copyright & Disclaimer

Copyright © 2018 The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.