(310) 683-4516

Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer

Tying The Knot – Immigration And Your Fiancé

Feb 25, 2015 12:01:17 PM / by Staff Attorney

Most people, even those who have never had any dealings with immigration directly, know one of the quickest ways to become an American citizen is through marriage. Any foreign national who marries a United States citizen, either inside the country or back in his or her home region, is eligible to apply for a green card once the ceremony has been legally confirmed. After the application is received by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and approved, they are granted permanent status as a United States citizen. Of course, there are varying details per couple and restrictions depending on where you may be coming from or previous history, but, in general, that is one of the fastest paths to U.S. citizenship.

But what happens when you are not married to your fiancé yet, but wish for him or her to enter the country? Are there any options for those couples currently living abroad that wish to marry in the United States? The answer lies in a Form I-129F, otherwise known as a Petition for Alien Fiancé, or a K-1 Non-Immigrant Visa. In essence, a K-1 visa grants foreign nationals a limited window in which to come to the United States and marry their loved one, thereby giving them the ability to apply for permanent status or a Form I-485, green card.

However, there are a number of items that must be made clear before a U.S. Citizen can petition a K-1 visa for their fiancé. Those items include:

  • The petitioner is in fact a United States citizen.
  • The couple will be married within 90 days of entering the country.
  • Both individuals entering the marriage are free to do so and any previous engagements must have been legally ended through divorce, death, or annulment.
  • The couple petitioning the visa must have met within two years of filing the petition.
  • Same sex couples must marry in a state or country where same sex marriages are recognized in order to qualify for immigration purposes.

Of course there are exceptions and additional methods in which to enter the country legally, but we highly recommend speaking with a dedicated immigration law attorney before attempting to file on your own. Call Attorney Scott McVarish today for more information or to schedule an appointment at the Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C.

Topics: Fiance Visa

Staff Attorney

Written by Staff Attorney


Are you an immigrant investor, professional, student, entrepreneur, or other worker seeking opportunities in the USA?


We cut through the red tape to make your family member a legal permanent resident efficiently and affordably.


We aggressively fight removal/deportation cases, win appeals and overturn criminal convictions.

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

ILOLA’s Education Center


Copyright & Disclaimer

Copyright © 2018 The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.