Los Angeles L-1 Visa Attorney

Aug 28, 2014 8:37:44 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Work Visas


There are many different types of visas that allow foreign nationals to live and work in the United States for a limited amount of time. The United States L-1 visa allows companies that operate abroad and in the United States to move workers from foreign operations to the U.S. for up to seven years. Whether or not a worker is granted a visa will often depend on the position and qualifications of the applicant.

The two types of employees who may qualify for an L-1 visa include managers, executives, and specialized knowledge staff:

  • Managers and executives: During the application process, the executive or manager will have to include a detailed description of their duties. They will have to show that they have supervisory responsibility for professional staff. It is common for managers to receive a three-year L-1A visa that can be increased in two-year increments.
Read More

L-1 Visa Programs and Issues of Discrimination

Jun 6, 2014 12:37:46 PM / by Staff Attorney posted in Work Visas


L-1 visas allow foreigners to live and work in the United States for a short period of time. They are available for employees of international companies who wish to transfer from a foreign office to an office in the United States. If you wish to transfer to a position in the United States with an L-1 visa, it is important that you receive guidance throughout the application process, particularly when acceptances have gone down across the board.

Who is Eligible for an L-Visa?

If you wish to apply for an L-1 visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be a manager, executive, or a worker with specialized knowledge;
  • You must be employed by an international employer who has an office in the United States; and
  • You must have worked there for at least one continuous year within the past three years.
Read More

Applying and Getting an L-1 Visa in Los Angeles

Feb 12, 2014 8:04:08 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Work Visas


An L-1 visa allows companies that operate here in the United States and abroad to bring in certain employees from its foreign operations. Workers with an L-1 visa may transfer from a foreign operation to one here in Los Angeles for up to seven years. They are available for anyone who has worked abroad for at least one year out of the last three years.

Los Angeles Immigration

There are two categories of employees who can potentially qualify for an L-1 Visa:

Read More

What is “Extraordinary Ability” in Visa Applications?

Oct 21, 2013 12:41:08 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Visas, Work Visas


Both the immigrant and non-immigrant visa categories include an option for individuals who have “extraordinary ability.” The extraordinary ability visas are reserved for individuals who show some extraordinary skill and achievement in their field. Generally, these individuals have risen to the top of their profession and are planning to come to the United States to practice the profession in which they have excelled.

In order to establish that one has the “extraordinary ability” required for any of the applicable visas, evidence of success and accomplishments in one’s field is required. Applicants can demonstrate their ability by showing proof of having won a major international award, such as a Nobel Prize, or by showing evidence in at least three of the 10 accepted categories:

Read More

Understanding Work Visas: Non-Immigrant Visas

Oct 11, 2013 1:51:25 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Visas, Work Visas


People who wish to come to the United States to start businesses have several options when it comes to obtaining a visa. These “entrepreneur visas” cover a wide range of business plans, participation, and options. An experienced Los Angeles immigration attorney can help you determine which type of visa best fits your business plans.

Entrepreneurial visas are typically divided into two categories: non-immigrant and immigrant visas. Non-immigrant visas are for individuals who are not currently living in the U.S., but who wish to enter the country for entrepreneurial reasons. Immigrant visas are for individuals who are already pursuing business in the U.S. and who wish to apply for permanent residency.

Read More

Obtaining Visas for Video Game Professionals

Jul 12, 2013 4:20:43 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Visas, Work Visas


Getting Help from a Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer

Are you a video game professional who needs to travel to the United States for a video game league event or international competition? If so, you are going to need to obtain the appropriate visa so that you can enter the country lawfully. You will likely need to obtain the O-1 nonimmigrant visa, which falls under the category of visas for "Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement." When traveling abroad for an event, the last thing you want to deal with is visa denials or unexpected complications. At The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C., our Los Angeles immigration attorney works to guide his clients through the visa application process, and he works to help them address any obstacles they are facing.

Read More

Skilled Worker Visas

Jun 7, 2013 1:55:54 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Visas, Work Visas


There are various different types of visas available for individuals who wish to live and/or work in the United States. There are family-based visas, employment-based visas, student visas and many others. One of the primary categories for employment-based visas is skilled worker visas. Skilled workers are individuals who demonstrate a high level of skill and competence in their particular field. To be considered for a skilled worker visa an individual must be able to demonstrate that he or she has at least two years of training or job experience, has certification for the skills possessed, will not be performing work of a seasonal or temporary nature, is qualified for work for which there are currently no qualified workers available in the U.S., and has a written offer for a permanent, full-time position from a business located in the United States.

Read More

Work Authorization for Japanese Students in the U.S.

May 6, 2011 6:19:15 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Visas, Work Visas

1 Comment

Japanese students on a F-1 visa who are currently enrolled in a school in the United States may seek work authorization based on severe economic hardship. According to the regulations at 8 CFR 214.2(f)(9)(II)(C) and (D), F-1 academic students may request this permission to work off-campus due to the severe economic hardship caused by changes in the financial condition of your family. The requirements are as follows:

Read More

Religious Workers Options

Jan 19, 2011 4:29:50 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Green Card, Work Visas


Religious Workers can come to the United States to work through either a permanent resident program or as a nonimmigrant temporary worker. We have shared a summary of the basic requirements below. If you feel you may qualify for one of these options, contact our office to schedule a telephone or in-person consultation. We provide very reasonable rates for all religious worker visas.

Read More