(310) 683-4516

Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer

Adjustment of Visas through Same Sex Marriage

Jan 9, 2014 12:40:19 PM / by Staff Attorney posted in Marriage Visas, Same Sex Green Card, Visas


Under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act, certain individuals can change their immigration status while in the United States to permanent residency. One of the most popular ways to gain permanent residence status in the United States is through a family member. In light of the recent changes in marriage equality laws in California, more people will now be able to apply for permanent resident status through same sex marriage. If you wish to become a permanent resident and have recently married your partner, you would be well advised to learn about your new legal options.

To qualify for an Adjustment of Status to permanent resident, you must be married to, or be about to marry, a United States citizen, and you must live here legally. When Proposition 8 was struck down on June 26, 2013, this option became available for same-sex couples, just as it has been available for many years for heterosexual couples.

Read the rest

Understanding Regional Center-Based EB-5 Job Creation

Jan 1, 2014 8:53:37 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Investment, Visas


Entrepreneurs who meet certain stringent requirements may qualify for an EB-5 investor visa. Requirements include making a minimum investment and providing a credible business plan to support your petition. Included in your business plan may be steps toward creating jobs within a “regional center.”
Los Angeles Visa
One requirement of an EB-5 investor visa is that the investment creates at least 10 new American jobs. Generally speaking, these must be new full-time jobs for U.S. residents. Although many investors fulfill this requirement by ensuring their investment creates at least 10 full-time jobs within the country, some choose to take one of the alternative routes provided by the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS), which is to invest in a regional center.

Read the rest

Obtaining a Marriage Visa as the Spouse of a U.S. Citizen

Dec 19, 2013 12:51:37 PM / by Staff Attorney posted in Marriage Visas, Visas


When a U.S. citizen marries a citizen of another country, the couple may want to share their lives in the United States. If the U.S. citizen spouse is older than 21 years of age, he or she has the right to seek a “green card,” which signifies permanent resident status, for his or her spouse. Permanent residency allows both spouses to share their lives in the U.S. without facing legal problems related to immigration.

Couples may seek a marriage visa based on any marriage that is legal in the U.S. state where it was conducted - including same-sex couples whose marriage is legal in their state. A couple may also seek a marriage visa even if they have been married only a short time. The foreign national spouse receives a “conditional green card.” While this conditional green card allows the spouse to live and work in the U.S., it does not grant full permanent residency status until after two years and an additional immigration application.

Read the rest

Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer Helps Brazilians Secure U.S. Visas

Dec 12, 2013 8:48:46 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Visas


If you are a resident of Brazil seeking a visa to visit the United States or if you need help staying legally in the United States, you may wonder where to start. Dealing with Brazilian officials can be difficult when their offices are several thousand miles away, especially if you do not have the resources to make the trip or when family or work responsibilities keep you in the U.S. The experienced immigration law attorneys at the Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. can help.

U.S. immigration law is complex especially when it includes consular processing. Which visa you need, what paperwork and documents you must submit, and what other requirements you must meet all depend on a number of factors. How long you plan to stay in the U.S., whether you need to work to support yourself, whether you have family members who are U.S. citizens, whether you are seeking citizenship yourself, and why you want to stay in the U.S. – these all affect which documents you should use when applying for immigration benefits.

Read the rest

Understanding U.S. Immigrant Visas

Dec 2, 2013 8:46:51 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Visas


An immigrant visa allows travelers to visit the United States under certain conditions, which depend on the type of visa issued and its expiration date. While you should always speak to an experienced Los Angeles immigration visa attorney about your specific needs, this quick guide to immigrant visas provides an overview of visas and the process of getting one.

Los Angeles Immigration Law

An immigrant visa is a document that lets you travel to the United States. Immigrant visas are issued by the U.S. State Department. The State Department also issues “non-immigrant” visas, which are only for those visiting the United States. Unlike holders of immigrant visas, non-immigrant visa holders typically have no plans to seek legal permanent resident status once they are in the United States.

Read the rest

Facing Complications in H1B Visa Renewal with Skilled Legal Help

Nov 22, 2013 7:36:02 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in H1B, Success Stories, Visas


In our notable case for October 2013, both the company who hired us and its employee were very scared that their H1B renewal would be denied. So many H1B renewals are receiving a request for evidence and notice of intent to deny that it is no longer considered a routine matter.

In fact, many immigration attorneys charge the same amount for the renewal as they do for the first initial H1B visa. At the Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C., our legal team is extraordinarily successful in these cases because we work very closely with the company. Sometimes, we have to insist on making changes to job titles or job descriptions to more accurately reflect the work employee is doing. We have found that many employees have simply inherited job descriptions that may be four, five, six, or even more years older and that do not accurately reflect the work they do today.

Read the rest

A Quick Guide to the H-1B Visa

Nov 20, 2013 12:23:48 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in H1B, Visas


If you are an entrepreneur or worker seeking to enter the United States to do business, you have a wealth of options from which to choose. Which visa is best for your situation depends on what skills you have, why you are visiting the United States, and how long you wish to stay. Your experienced Los Angeles immigration attorney can help you determine exactly which visa is right for you.

An H-1B “specialty occupation” visa is often appropriate for individuals who plan to work for the business they start in the United States. In order to qualify for such a visa, the worker must meet several requirements. An H-1B visa is typically good for up to three years, though an extension may be granted that increases the total period of stay to six years. In some cases, an extension beyond six years may be granted.

Read the rest

Is a B-1 Visa Right for Me?

Nov 18, 2013 4:23:17 PM / by Staff Attorney posted in Visas


The U.S. Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) offers a number of “non-immigrant” visas for individuals who wish to enter the United States for business purposes, but who do not plan to move to the U.S. permanently or to take up residence in the country in the long term. If you are one of these entrepreneurs, you may have considered a B-1 business visa.

Los Angeles Immigration

Those who seek a B-1 Visa are typically entering the U.S. on a “business visit.” The purpose of the visit might be to seek funding for a new business, to rent office or industrial space, to negotiate a business contract, or to attend business meetings held in the United States. The visa typically allows the entrepreneur to stay for up to six months, although extensions are available.

Read the rest

Understanding the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program

Nov 6, 2013 9:22:04 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Investment, Visas


In 1990, the U.S. Congress created the Immigrant Investor Program, also known as “EB-5.” The purpose of the program is to stimulate economic growth in the United States by encouraging immigrating entrepreneurs to bring their ideas, job creation, and capital investments into the United States.

The EB-5 program sets aside certain visas for investors in “Regional Centers,” which are designated by the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS). An experienced Los Angeles immigration attorney is essential in helping you determine if an EB-5 visa is right for you. Our EB-5 attorney can work with you throughout the process to protect your interests and secure the visa you need.

Read the rest

How Does the DOMA Decision Affect Marriage Visas?

Nov 4, 2013 9:19:30 AM / by Staff Attorney posted in Marriage Visas, Same Sex Green Card, Visas


Every year, thousands of U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents fall in love with a citizen of a foreign country. They marry, raise a family, and contribute to their communities and their country. Entering the country via marriage and becoming a permanent resident based on marriage has several benefits over other methods of obtaining a visa or green card. This includes exemptions from quotas and advantageous rules regarding when an immigration case is considered “open.”

Until recently, same-sex couples could not access the same rules for entering the country as other couples, due to the federal government’s Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and its rules regarding who “counted” as a married couple. Since the U.S. Supreme Court finally struck down DOMA this year, however, same-sex partners may enter the United States on the same basis as other couples, according to the State Department. The federal government is no longer allowed to discriminate-- when granting marriage-based visas or green cards-- on the basis of the sexual orientation of the couple.

Read the rest


Are you an immigrant investor, professional, student, entrepreneur, or other worker seeking opportunities in the USA?


We cut through the red tape to make your family member a legal permanent resident efficiently and affordably.


We aggressively fight removal/deportation cases, win appeals and overturn criminal convictions.

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

ILOLA’s Education Center


Copyright & Disclaimer

Copyright © 2018 The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.