(310) 683-4516

Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer

Obtaining Visas for Video Game Professionals

Jul 12, 2013 4:20:43 AM / by Staff Attorney

Getting Help from a Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer

Are you a video game professional who needs to travel to the United States for a video game league event or international competition? If so, you are going to need to obtain the appropriate visa so that you can enter the country lawfully. You will likely need to obtain the O-1 nonimmigrant visa, which falls under the category of visas for "Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement." When traveling abroad for an event, the last thing you want to deal with is visa denials or unexpected complications. At The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C., our Los Angeles immigration attorney works to guide his clients through the visa application process, and he works to help them address any obstacles they are facing.

There has been a significant increase in professional video game leagues and international competitions over the years. Some of the league events that have attracted international travelers in the past include the Warcraft III Champions League, the Warcraft III World Championship, the World Cyber Games, the Electronic Sports World Cup, Battle.net and more.

About O-1 Visas

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), O-1 visas are reserved for individuals who are recognized as having extraordinary ability in a number of different areas. These areas include the sciences, business, education and athletics. Nationally and internationally recognized professionals who work in arts and the motion picture and television industries are also allowed to obtain these types of visas. Video game professionals can qualify for O-1 visas, considering that the applicant has a high enough level of professional skill and recognition within his or her industry. Individuals applying for this visa must also only be coming to the U.S. for a temporary stay.

In order to obtain this visa, the video game professional must file multiple immigration-related forms within a certain timeframe. The professional will also generally need a written advisory opinion from a peer group who (such as a labor organization) who is in the same industry; a copy of a written contract or summary of the terms of an oral agreement between the professional and the employer who is serving as the "petitioner"; and a detailed itinerary explaining the activities of the event and when they will occur, according to the USCIS.

High-Quality Legal Assistance

Our knowledgeable attorney, Scott McVarish, has more 15 years of experience that you can use as a valuable resource when you prepare to travel to the United States. He has a thorough understanding of U.S. immigration laws, which allows him to provide his clients with sound legal guidance for their immigration matters. Contact our office so we can begin assisting you in preparing for your travel!

Topics: Visas, Work Visas

Staff Attorney

Written by Staff Attorney


Are you an immigrant investor, professional, student, entrepreneur, or other worker seeking opportunities in the USA?


We cut through the red tape to make your family member a legal permanent resident efficiently and affordably.


We aggressively fight removal/deportation cases, win appeals and overturn criminal convictions.

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

ILOLA’s Education Center


Copyright & Disclaimer

Copyright © 2018 The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.