(310) 683-4516

Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer

EB-5 Investor Visas for Residents of Mexico

Aug 4, 2014 8:24:02 AM / by Staff Attorney

There are a number of ways for residents of Mexico to gain citizenship in the United States. However, there are a limited number of visas available and many Mexican nationals are unable to receive their green card. One way that wealthy investors can increase their chances of receiving a visa is to invest in businesses here in the United States. The EB-5 investment visa can provide you with citizenship in the United States for up to five years if you are able to show that you made a significant capital investment that resulted in full-time employment for U.S. workers.

Mexico has moved up into the top 10 countries to which EB-5 visas are issued. According to the U.S. Department of State, 2.6 percent of all accepted EB-5 applications come from Mexico. In 2010, Mexico ranked seventh in the world for EB-5 visas. In 2011, the number increased from 50 to 53. This is a considerable jump proportionally considering that there were only 33 EB-5 visas issued in 2009.

If you wish to qualify for an EB-5 visa, you will have to make a considerable investment in a U.S. company and create full-time jobs for U.S. workers. You must invest either $1 million or $500,000 in a commercial enterprise located in a targeted employment area. Targeted areas are typically those outside a major city or those with unemployment rates well over the national average. EB-5 applicants must also prove that they directly or indirectly will create 10 full-time jobs within two years of their application approval.

One of the many benefits of the EB-5 program is that applicants may also apply for visas to bring their family members. Applicants can even receive conditional permanent resident status for two years upon entry into the United States with an EB-5 immigrant visa. Once approved, the applicant and his or her family will be able to live and work in the United States.

While the EB-5 visa program is a great way to receive a green card, it is not the best option for every resident of Mexico who wishes to live in Los Angeles. It is important for anyone looking to live and work in the United States to research his or her options and to seek guidance from an experienced Los Angeles immigration lawyer.

Topics: EB-5

Staff Attorney

Written by Staff Attorney


Are you an immigrant investor, professional, student, entrepreneur, or other worker seeking opportunities in the USA?


We cut through the red tape to make your family member a legal permanent resident efficiently and affordably.


We aggressively fight removal/deportation cases, win appeals and overturn criminal convictions.

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

ILOLA’s Education Center


Copyright & Disclaimer

Copyright © 2018 The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.