(310) 683-4516

Los Angeles Immigration Lawyer

E-1/E-2 Visas

Sep 25, 2014 10:16:40 AM / by Staff Attorney

Los Angeles Immigration LawThe United States has treaties of Friendship, Commerce and Navigation with most of the other countries in the world. These treaties are designed to promote investment and trade between countries. Individuals and companies located in countries that have a treaty with the United States can apply for and obtain visas that allow them to work and live in the U.S.

There are two types of E-visas that are available for individuals and companies located in a country with a friendship treaty with the United States:

  • E-1 Treaty Trader: This visa is available for companies that have trade relations with the United States. Traders seeking a treaty must show that the majority of his or her trade is to and from the United States. There is no set limit to qualify as a Treaty Trader, but companies that conduct well over 50 percent of their imports and exports with the U.S. will receive preferred treatment.
  • E-2 Treaty Investor: This E-visa is reserved for nationals who have made a significant investment in the United States. There is no minimum level of investment that must be made to qualify, but investors who have given a substantial amount will have a better chance of receiving a visa. The level of investment must be considered sufficient enough to justify a visa and it must be in an operating business. This means that buying property or stocks is not enough.

There are also two types of employees who can qualify for an E-visa: managers and specialists. Executives and managers who wish to qualify will have to provide a resume and a supporting letter from the principal of the company to prove their position. Specialists and essential skilled workers have to show that a U.S. resident cannot fill the position, the employment of the applicant is necessary for the running of the business in the U.S. and that U.S. workers will be trained to eventually replace the applicant.

Not all qualified applicants will be accepted. In order to increase your chances of receiving an E-visa, it is important that you contact an experienced Los Angeles immigration attorney who can guide you through the application process.

Topics: E-Visas

Staff Attorney

Written by Staff Attorney


Are you an immigrant investor, professional, student, entrepreneur, or other worker seeking opportunities in the USA?


We cut through the red tape to make your family member a legal permanent resident efficiently and affordably.


We aggressively fight removal/deportation cases, win appeals and overturn criminal convictions.

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570 Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

ILOLA’s Education Center


Copyright & Disclaimer

Copyright © 2018 The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.